20 May 2010

The IMmobile

My latest sculpture is named The Immobile. It's an anti-mobile i.e., it is the antithesis of a Calderesque sculpture. It has no moving parts and can be floor or ceiling mounted.
The title also refers to Kurt Vonnegut's TM mantra "Im".
VONNEGUT: "I tried that [Transcendental Meditation]. It gave me a terrible headache."
The concrete chunks used as counterweights have an unintended resemblance to meteoroids in orbit,
which I suppose contradicts the purpose of the piece. "So it goes....."
Steel and concrete 110cm x 60cm x 106cm. Concept by me, realisation by J-M Fritsch. Click photo to enlarge.

5 comments:

Discount Printing Services said...

I think that's a pretty cool concept. I actually like the idea of it being mounted in the ceiling. Though maybe people might think what it is doing hanging there.

Rico said...

Deviously clever.

ElizT said...

Just the thing to hang over the cot of a new baby.

problemchildbride said...

Moved by the immobility of this.

Metal Wall Art said...

Definitely agree with what you stated. Your explanation was certainly the easiest to understand. I tell you, I usually get irked when folks discuss issues that they plainly do not know about. You managed to hit the nail right on the head and explained out everything without complication. Maybe, people can take a signal. Will likely be back to get more. Thanks.